Excerpt from: Presentation on Conservation and Revival of Powai Lake
Prepared by: Shri M.R. Sohoni Dy. Municipal Commissioner (Special Engineering)
Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai
Powai lake was created in 1891 by constructing dam between two hillocks across Mithi River. Catchment area of the lake is about 600 hectors and water spread area at full supply level is 220 hectors. Top level of the dam is at 195 Feet T.H.D. level. Length of the dam is about 110 mtrs.and height is varying from 6 mtrs. (maximum ht.) to 3mtrs. (minimum ht.)
Lake is deteriorated due to accelerated growth of residential, commercial and industrial area around the lake & quarrying activity in the catchment area.
The lake water is not used for drinking purposes but for non potable purposes i.e. gardening and industrial use.
Scope of Work
The scope of work consists of the following activities for improving the quality of Powai Lake Water by using BIOREMEDIATION TECHNIQUE to bring the values of various parameters of the lake water upto the values required for maintaining Eco-balance.
- The base line data collection and continuous monitoring of lake water and sludge and submission of monthly report to BMC.
- Removal of water hyacinth and other unrooted weeds from lake water surface and transporting the same to a suitable place as directed by the Corporation.
- Aeration of lake with Compressors & diffusers etc.
- The biological treatment to lake water with speciality bio-product.
- Monitoring of the quality of lake water during maintenance period of 36 months and necessary corrective measures shall be taken to maintain quality of water as desired.